Back door hatch lock problem - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Back door hatch lock problem

Hello everyone, thank you forum contributors for existing.

I have a problem with my Back door hatch lock. I can't open the **** door. I have an appointment at the dealership (OUT OF WARRANTY) scheduled for Thursday, and its going to cost me at least $350 to get it repaired. I am a general fix-it-myselfer, and my conundrum is as follows.

Unlocking on the key remote does not release the lock on the back door. Unlocking on the door lock control panel does not release the lock on the back door; I cannot get the back door open.

I took off the inside door lower screen (FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL PART NAME), reached over to the "Emergency Lock Release (Factory service manual part name) turned it counter clockwise as the factory service manual indicates, and it does not open.

I need to open this. I know that once I can get it open, i can start taking everything apart and figure out what is wrong, but I'm having an extemely hard time (WITH MY DO IT YOURSELF MENTALITY) justifying paying $350+.

The dealer service receptionist said it is a fairly common problem, and sometimes they can fix it without replacing the door lock. I have a feeling it is the cable that fell off the handle actuator. I'm not positive, but from everything I've played with, it feels like the cable is doing nothing, but I can't figure out why the "Emergency Lock Release" is not releasing the strike from the actuator when I rotate it.

Your input is greatly appreciate, please... I will look on your words with great satisfaction if they are provided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 AM

Re: Back door hatch lock problem

Haven't heard of this issue; hope it's a cheap and easy fix for you.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM

I haven't had this issue come up yet. It would seem to follow logic that the emergency lock release should do it. I wish I had some sort of insight for you on this one, I know how frustrating it is to turn control of something that you should be able to do yourself.

2010 Nissan Cube
2002 Acura RSX
1998 Nissan Frontier
1985 Nissan Stanza Station Wagon - The Original Toaster!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Well, unfortunately, the car is 10,000 miles out of warranty, so I had to pony up 400 dollars for them to remove the lock actuator and replace it.

The part was dealership only, and cost 150, and the labor was about 180.

I had tried a couple different ways to open the door. Accessing the hinge pin, the pull cable/cord, as well as many other ways of opening the door I have done in similar sistuations with my job (Apartment maintenance) and I knew that it was going to end up in a demolition of the whole **** thing, I wasn't surprised when the dealership service center told me that the technician who managed to open it and replace the part had to basically destruct the lock piece by piece until he got far enough into it to manually remove the lock. It took him 3.5 hours. They charged me for 2.5 hours labor.

Its fixed, and that is all that matters. I also learned from a representative of the dealer that the cube's production has been nixed in the states. No more Nissan Cube. Not sure if that is news to y'all folks, but darn. I love this car, and unfortunately, I guess we'll have to ride the coattails of versa parts in the future
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickShades
I also learned from a representative of the dealer that the cube's production has been nixed in the states. No more Nissan Cube. Not sure if that is news to y'all folks, but darn. I love this car, and unfortunately, I guess we'll have to ride the coattails of versa parts in the future
Glad you got your rear door latch problem fixed, but I gotta call BS on your dealer's knowledge of the Cube's production status.

For starters, there are many documented cases over at the official Nissan Cube Facebook page of dealers telling prospective Cube customers that the car was discontinued after the 2011 model year, even though Nissan corporate was clearly saying the 2012s were coming, just delayed because of the Tsunami and what-not.

Secondly, the Cube is not produced in the U.S. That's the whole problem. If it were made in Mexico or the U.S. like most of Nissan's other models for sale domestically, they could sell it profitably at $15,000. As it is, the Cube is assembled in Oppama, Japan, and the unfavorable exchange rate means it has to be sold at $17,000 or more just to make a tiny profit. Of course, that price is not all that competitive when Kia is selling its Soul (see what I did there?) at sub-$15,000 prices all day long. The Cube is what the industry calls a "loss leader" because it just gets the buyer's foot in the door and hopefully someday they'll trade up to another Nissan model that will make the brand a ton of profit. That's why you don't see many of them floating around out there on dealer lots. Even the largest dealers will probably only have half a dozen Cubes. Smaller dealers are lucky to stock one, if they have any at all.

I'll wait for official word from Nissan corporate as to whether the Cube will continue to be imported into the U.S. in the future. I sincerely hope it will be. Even more than that, I would love to see Nissan shift production of the North American market Cube to their new Mexican plant or build it in Smyrna alongside the Leaf, which was produced on the same line as the Cube in Oppama originally. I figure they can move the Leaf to Smyrna, why not move the Cube with it and make a better profit margin on each one sold, at a competitive price with the Soul, which is the biggest seller in the segment.

2014 Pearl White Nissan cube 1.8 S CVT
2010 Bitter Chocolate Nissan cube 1.8 S CVT
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 PM

Just had this problem with my Cube today. Out of Warranty by around 2000 miles. Passenger door electronic lock went out 1000 miles before warranty.

Had to nearly disassemble the lock before I could get the latch to release. Took it out and found a small plastic part that moves from 'locked' position and will not allow the lock to open had come loose and wouldn't move to the 'unlocked' position and allow the cable ( which was still attached properly ) from rotating the latch to 'open'. Head into the dealership tomorrow to try to get a new assembly.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Had the same issue. Spent two hours drilling/sawing/destroying (which is the only way to get the door open/replace lock if it is locked shut with this particular problem). One I removed the assembly, I could figure out what happened. There is a light clock spring that retracts a pin allowing the door handle cable to engage. That spring became misplaced/unsprung. FYI, the lock assembly is actually made by Renault; maybe that says it all.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Yeah, I found the same thing. Had my kids play with the mechanism a bit to see if they could figure it out too. They did. I want them to be able to fix things themselves. At least Nissan reimbursed me for the cost of the part and my labor was 'free'. I would like to think the design on the other doors is a bit more robust, but it is probably the same.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 PM

eddeeeee, why did Nissan reimburse you for it? Was yours still under warranty? Mine expired a few months ago. I did notice that the original assembly as been replaced with a new part number--maye they improved the design.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Mine was not under warranty any more ( still under 3 years, but missed 36k by a little over 1000 miles ). It was, however, the second door malfunction in 3 months. Sent them pictures of the assembly failure and a receipt. They sent a check.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page