Cube with over 120,000 Miles - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cube with over 120,000 Miles

Hello everyone. I hope that I can get some answer from this forum about the maintenance issue for high mileage Cube.

My wife has a 2009 Cube SL and almost hitting the 120,000 mile mark which is practically the end of the maintenance schedule. Wondering what has to be done after that in terms of maintenance?

On the last maintenance, it states to "Replace engine drive belts". Does this mean the CVT tranny belt? Correct me if I am wrong as don't know much about the CVT.

Also, there is no timing belt/chain replacement on any of the maintenance throughout the 120,000. Is that something that has to be done?

Sorry for all the questions but realized that I never had a car that went over this much mileage that I started to worry about the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:34 PM
rwb

Your drive belts are the water pump belt, ac belt, and any others on the engine. your cvt doesn't have a belt but it does have fluid that needs changed per the schedule.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb View Post
Your drive belts are the water pump belt, ac belt, and any others on the engine. your cvt doesn't have a belt but it does have fluid that needs changed per the schedule.
Thank you so much for your input. The fluid has been changed according to the maintenance schedule so I'm assuming that's a good thing. For some reason, I always felt that CVT's were belt driven! LOL

2009 Cube SLow Wife mobile

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:51 PM
rwb

Technically cvt's do have a belt but it never needs maintenance.

Last edited by rwb; 05-04-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: I can't type today....
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 05:15 PM

Just for my curiosity, does your 120k mile cube have the original transmission? There are so many reports of transmission failures it would do my heart good to find out that some owners get a long service life out of them.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Technically cvt's do have a belt but it never needs maintenance.
Ahh, that's what I had in mind. Glad that it does not need any maintenance.
I was thinking that it would cost a lot of money that selling the car could have been the option if we had to change the belt on those thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
Just for my curiosity, does your 120k mile cube have the original transmission? There are so many reports of transmission failures it would do my heart good to find out that some owners get a long service life out of them.
Well to tell you the truth, it runs like how it was from day one. I guess my wife drives it like a snail and does not drive aggressively so that might be the reason why it is lasting so long. I didn't know that CVT's had any problems until I joined this forum.

Engine starts fine, no knocking when put in to Drive or Reverse. I fixed the wheel hub today and this things glides on the road very smooth now. Other than slight yellowing of the paint, this car is as good as new.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 08:59 PM
rwb

Go to youtube and search for cvt animation, it will give you the basics of how the tranny works.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Go to youtube and search for cvt animation, it will give you the basics of how the tranny works.
Thanks!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:23 AM

180000 miles on my Cube

I have north of 180000 miles on my 2010 Cube. Bought it with less than 10000 miles used in 2010.

All I've done is oil changes every 5000 miles (synthetic from the first one), Brakes, 1 rear wheel hub, tires, plugs, heater fan, defrost selector cable (manual A/C), CVT fluid change, coolant flush, and THAT'S IT.

GREAT CAR I would buy another Nissan tomorrow.

I do all my own maintenance. I have had a check engine light on for the upstream O2 sensor for 100000 miles. It's not something I've been worried about until this year, we now live in an area that does emission checks. Also the tire psi indicator has been on from day 1. Again I don't care.

I did have the exhaust failure at the muffler that everyone has had. I was a poor design, there was to much stress put on that weld. But the fix cost my $25.00. My local shop welded it again and I added a hanger right there and now more issues. I feel for the people that bought whole new exhaust.

This week in fact I'm doing the shocks for the first time.

The car is a little tank. I been rear ended twice, both times required about $2000 in repair. I was broken into also. They pried back the top of the door and used something to poke the power door lock button. Because of that I have a bunch of dents along the roof above the passenger door, and the door is ever so slightly twisted. The only thing it affects is the speed at which the passenger window goes up.

If you want to know any more email me directly. dadto5 AT gmail DOT com
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:52 AM

Glad to hear that the Cube is pretty low maintenance in the long term. My family has owned Nissan, they are great vehicles. My mom had 225K miles on her 2001 Quest, but the body starting rusting through because of the winter up north here in the Adirondacks (salt on the roads, etc.)

The Cube does seem to be a Tank, I plan on having it for many years to come. (With all the problems i've heard about the earlier Cubes, i'm glad I went with a 2013)

At what mileage intervals do you guys change the CVT fluid? (I've heard 30,000 and 60,000)?

2013 Nissan Cube S
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**65,500K** miles and counting...

AVS Window Visors
JVC KW-V220BT
Brilliant Silver Interior Trim Appliques
ATI Grill
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra Halogen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page