How to program a new key remote - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

#1 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 PM

How to program a new key remote

I lost one of my key (one of those that has the remote on the key handle), I don't have the push start system.

The dealership wanted to charge quite a bit of money to cut and program a new key. I found some uncut keys on ebay and was wondering if I could cut and program a key myself. I read online that you could program older nissan keyless entry remotes, but am not sure if I could DIY on the Cube.

Please Help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-U...item1c0fe0c974
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:01 PM

Re: How to program a new key remote

We had a '99 Maxima, and that needed the dealer to program the remote. Ford lets owners ddo the programming for free - a much better deal.

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Navi Head Unit
Pioneer ND-BC20PA Backup Camera
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
Interior LED Accent Lighting
LED interior bulbs
NRG Carbon Fiber Hood Dampers
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
http://catskillcam.com
#3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 PM

I found this online! Has anyone tried?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5029243_prog...ob-remote.html

How to Program A Nissan Keyless Entry Key FOB remote
mwchambers Member
By mwchambers
User-Submitted Article
Article Rating: (9 Ratings)

If you have lost your keyless entry remote or just want to add keyless entry to your Nissan, you can do it yourself. The dealer will charge you several hundred dollars to do this but all you need is the key fob remotes and about 10 minutes of free time. Follow these steps to program your keyless entry on a Nissan.

Instructions

Step 1

The first step is to actually get the remotes. If you already have the remotes, proceed to step 2. If you do not, get on eBay and find the remotes for your year and model Nissan. You can usually get them for about $50 a pair, shipped. This is at least half of what the dealer will charge you.

Step 2

Open the drivers side door of the vehicle and get in the vehicle. Close the door. Press the lock button on the drivers side door to lock all the doors.

Step 3

Insert your key into the ignition and remove it at least 6 times. It may take up to 10 times. This needs to be done in a good pace, but not too fast. At least 6 times within 10 seconds is about right. If you have done it right, you will see the hazard lights flash twice.

Step 4

Once you see the hazard lights flash twice, the car is now in program mode. Insert the key back into the ignition and turn it to ACC. Push any button on your keyless entry FOB remote ONCE. This should be done within 5 seconds of turning the key to ACC. You should notice your hazards flash again. If you have another remote to program proceed to step 5, otherwise turn the key off and remove it. The remote should now be programmed.

Step 5

If you have another keyless entry remote to program unlock the door with the drivers side power lock and then lock them again. Press any button on the next remote. Turn the key back to the original position and remove the key. The remotes should now be programmed.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 AM

This sounds good, but before I buy any remotes, I want to see if it actually works with the Cube. Anyone care to try it?

Jerry

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
LED interior bulbs
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
#5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincinnatiCube
I lost one of my key (one of those that has the remote on the key handle), I don't have the push start system.

The dealership wanted to charge quite a bit of money to cut and program a new key. I found some uncut keys on ebay and was wondering if I could cut and program a key myself. I read online that you could program older nissan keyless entry remotes, but am not sure if I could DIY on the Cube.

Please Help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-U...item1c0fe0c974
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincinnatiCube
I found this online! Has anyone tried?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5029243_prog...ob-remote.html

How to Program A Nissan Keyless Entry Key FOB remote
mwchambers Member
By mwchambers
User-Submitted Article
Article Rating: (9 Ratings)

If you have lost your keyless entry remote or just want to add keyless entry to your Nissan, you can do it yourself. The dealer will charge you several hundred dollars to do this but all you need is the key fob remotes and about 10 minutes of free time. Follow these steps to program your keyless entry on a Nissan.

Instructions

Step 1

The first step is to actually get the remotes. If you already have the remotes, proceed to step 2. If you do not, get on eBay and find the remotes for your year and model Nissan. You can usually get them for about $50 a pair, shipped. This is at least half of what the dealer will charge you.

Step 2

Open the drivers side door of the vehicle and get in the vehicle. Close the door. Press the lock button on the drivers side door to lock all the doors.

Step 3

Insert your key into the ignition and remove it at least 6 times. It may take up to 10 times. This needs to be done in a good pace, but not too fast. At least 6 times within 10 seconds is about right. If you have done it right, you will see the hazard lights flash twice.

Step 4

Once you see the hazard lights flash twice, the car is now in program mode. Insert the key back into the ignition and turn it to ACC. Push any button on your keyless entry FOB remote ONCE. This should be done within 5 seconds of turning the key to ACC. You should notice your hazards flash again. If you have another remote to program proceed to step 5, otherwise turn the key off and remove it. The remote should now be programmed.

Step 5

If you have another keyless entry remote to program unlock the door with the drivers side power lock and then lock them again. Press any button on the next remote. Turn the key back to the original position and remove the key. The remotes should now be programmed.
I tried this procedure and it works as it should. No trouble at all. Completed three in under a minute. Thanks for the posting!
#6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 06:06 PM

Based on your post, I just ordered a remote/key from ebay for $48.88. I hope it works with these programming directions.

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
LED interior bulbs
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
#7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM

I received my new Cube key from ebay, and it looks exactly like the original. I printed the directions, and thought I'd go out and program it.

One step was left out of the directions: have the key cut. I could insert it into the lock, but I wouldn't be able to turn it to ACC without having it cut. When I do have it cut, I'll go to a locksmith. If the local hardware store messes up, it will cost me $48 for a new key. A locksmith will (hopefuilly) do a better job. It's been pouring for two days, so I'll wait to do this.

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
LED interior bulbs
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
#8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:49 PM

Remote Yes/Key No. No local locksmith would take a chance cutting a $50 key, so I took it to the dealer. The parts guy cut the key for free. I tested it on the driver's door lock, and it worked fine.

I went home and followed the directions. It worked like a charm - on the remote. I cannot use the key to start the engine. When I turn it to Start, everything lights up, but the starer doesn't engage. I tried programming it again, but it didn't react at all. I guess once it is programmed, that's all it will accept.

Any ideas how I can get the key to start the engine?

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
LED interior bulbs
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
#9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 12:05 PM

You Need the dealer techtools to program the transponder of your key, there no other way... It's a safety anti-theft feature.

2010 Nissan Cube S - Chrome Silver - 6MT

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX - World Rally Blue - 5MT - Stage II @ 19.5 PSI

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Special Edition Lime Green/Metallic Diablo Black
#10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 PM

I'll stop by next week. He has good free coffee and donuts.

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
LED interior bulbs
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page