horn questions - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

horn questions

:

I often have to drive through a city that has an insane amount of Gomers wearing retard helmets and leotards who play with their bicycles in traffic.

The Cube factory horn is useless, no doubt the Gomers cannot hear it with their ear buds in.

I replaced it with an old ear splitting FLAMM that does the job nicely, but soon after replacing it the horn quit working, and I have no voltage at the horn.

My questions are :

1) Exactly where is the horn fuse and relay?
2) is it possible to buy a better relay that handles more current?
3) Will the wiring handle me increasing the fuse size? No doubt the FLAMM draws more current than the wimpy horn that was in there.

I cannot find a fuse in the dash/door panel fuse box, I've discovered the one under the dash near the battery, which looks like a terrible design that changing a fuse appears to require unplugging the entire electrical system.

Doing without a horn just isn't safe considering I drive in that particular area,
I would very much like to get it up and going again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:18 AM
rwb

It's either the 10a fuse or the relay. Both should be on the drivers side fuse box. Open door and the end of the dash there is a panel, pull off and see fuses and relay's.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:39 AM

if you go to ebay you can buy a relay set up for a horn that has a separate relay and a separate fuse, its pretty much plug and play. no fancy wiring to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Horn-Wir...JXYnQg&vxp=mtr

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb View Post
It's either the 10a fuse or the relay. Both should be on the drivers side fuse box. Open door and the end of the dash there is a panel, pull off and see fuses and relay's.
I looked there before I posted.
There is no socket for a horn fuse there, or for a gang socket that includes the horn.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I am certain it is the fuse or relay, but I can find neither.
Looking at the inside fuse box was my first action in troubleshooting after making sure the horn compressor was working properly.
I was a bit surprised at not finding a socket for either a dedicated horn signal or a ganged socket.

There is another fuse box under the hood, that is quite strange, it appears as though all of the cars electronics go through it. The lid pops of the receptacle and all the fuses and relays appear to be attached to the underside of the lid.
I assume that is where the relay is, which would logically imply that the fuse is next to it.
The problem is that in order to get to it you about have to disconnect all the many jacks that attach the panel to the wiring.
I would rather know for certain it is all there before messing with taking that all apart only to find it is a dead end.

If it is there then the rest is a cakewalk, I take it all apart, put a bigger fuse in ( which, I am certain the wiring could take the current, the only weak link would be the relay, which probably governs the fuse value).
I am hoping I can merely pop in a higher current relay and up the fuse 5 amps.

As I say, I would prefer to know exactly where both the relay and fuse are, knowing that would save me a lot of headache.

This is really more complex than it should be, back in the 70s I could just pop a fuse out of my 66 Volvo and pop another in. Everything else could take just about any zap you could put to it.

Also, the factor number for the relay would make spotting it easier too.

I appreciate the responses.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:12 PM
rwb

It should be under the hood.It is a 10 amp fuse with the #35 by it in the drawing. The relay has the #E5 by it in the diagram.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It should be under the hood.It is a 10 amp fuse with the #35 by it in the drawing. The relay has the #E5 by it in the diagram.

Thank you very much for the response.
So far under the hood there are two places for fuses, one is on some kind of power block that is attached to the battery, the other is a tupperware looking container that the underside of the lid is a gang for what appears to be the entire cars wiring, with a bunch of connectors attaching the wiring from various places to it and quite a few fuses.

Do you know if the fuse is in that "tupperware" box? As I say, I would rather not disconnect all of that to get to the underside of it if I don't need to, and I might be able to get under it with some mechanics tongs and a mirror if I know what I am looking for in advance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page