2010 Cube - Getting CVT replaced - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

2010 Cube - Getting CVT replaced

Hi Guys
The CVT in my 2010 Cube (70k km) failed after a trip to Montreal .
I took it to a dealer here in GTA for a replacement, but they say NISSAN Canada doesn't cover a loaner vehicle!
I was under the impression that some members here said they got a loaner for this warranty work.
Any suggestion as to how to get it?
thx.

Last edited by zopres; 01-09-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 PM

Here is their web page about the extended warranty. Under FAQ's no rental is covered. It should only take a day to swap it out If the have a new one in stock. Ask them to get one and then schedule the work. One or two days rental is a lot less than footing the full bill.
http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014S, (Previously a 2010 6sp, and 2013cvt) All red exterior
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcj2 View Post
Here is their web page about the extended warranty. Under FAQ's no rental is covered. It should only take a day to swap it out If the have a new one in stock. Ask them to get one and then schedule the work. One or two days rental is a lot less than footing the full bill.
http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2
Thanks for the info.
I had owned a Focus until last year . The Ford dealer had always provided me with a rental whenever there is warranty work on the car.
It seems Nissan dropped the ball on this one .

The dealer called . My Cube will be ready in 3 days.
You are right . 2 days rental I can do . The cost of the cvt ... noway.

Do you guys know if these new cvt's are different/improved from the original ones ?

cheers

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:16 PM

My CVT finally died at 186,000 miles and I had another one installed. Instead of springing for a new CVT I bought one with 20,000 miles on it off of a wrecked vehicle. Got the CVT and install for 1,500 bucks so not bad. Now I'm at 246,000 miles and still a purring. Not sure if the new ones are better or not but mine lasted a while I hope this one lasts just as long.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 AM

186,000 is quite a lot of miles... but I was thinking that the CVT would last a bit longer than that. My mom's old Nissan Quest (2000) went till about 225,000 miles, the engine still ran great, the body rusted out last year.

I'm assuming you did all of the needed maintenance (regular oil changes and CVT fluid changes)?

2013 Nissan Cube S
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**65,500K** miles and counting...

AVS Window Visors
JVC KW-V220BT
Brilliant Silver Interior Trim Appliques
ATI Grill
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra Halogen
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopres View Post
Thanks for the info.

Do you guys know if these new cvt's are different/improved from the original ones ?

cheers
In their FAQ's they stated:
Q5. Has Nissan made changes to the CVT?
A. Nissan continuously strives to enhance our products, and have made ongoing improvements to our CVTs over the years.

Insofar as the extended warranty only applied to 2009/10 model years and there haven't been many reports here of failures on newer cars it appears that they have solved their problem.

If you GOOGLE "life of automatic transmission" you get a wide range of expectations, but 100,000 miles seems to be the favorite answer. My uncle maybe got a million miles out of his '72 Ford, but I seem to get around 150K before I start having problems. My 1994 Dodge van has 145,000 miles on it and it hesitates when upshifting.
Unfortunately CVT's are more expensive to repair than "normal" AT's. Perhaps the price will come down as CVT equipped vehicles become older and require repair. Hopefully Independent Transmission shops will become more knowledgeable about them and will be able to repair them instead of relying on Nissan to install new ones.

2014S, (Previously a 2010 6sp, and 2013cvt) All red exterior
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Re: has Nissan made changes to the CVT?
I find Nissan answer very general and vague. It sounds good for the ear though!
I am curious to know what did they specifically improve? parts design, material, software ?

I guess I have a 2-3 years to decide whether to keep the Cube (a good car overall) or get rid of it before before the CVT warranty expires in 2020.
Cheers
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustRush1993 View Post
186,000 is quite a lot of miles... but I was thinking that the CVT would last a bit longer than that. My mom's old Nissan Quest (2000) went till about 225,000 miles, the engine still ran great, the body rusted out last year.

I'm assuming you did all of the needed maintenance (regular oil changes and CVT fluid changes)?
I did all the regular maintenance besides the CVT fluid lol. Had I changed it properly I probably would have got 250k out of it but ohh well. The engine is in great shape and she still runs great. My wife puts a lot of miles on her vehicles in a short time due to her commute but she just got a new vehicle and the Cube in now with my 17 year old son. I just changed the drive belt on it yesterday and she's ready to go for a lot longer I believe. The wifes Acura had 420k miles on it when she wrecked it and it was still running great also. Wish you the best of luck with yours!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the info., your mileage seemed low to me, the lack of CVT fluid changes explains it. For all the bad reviews Nissan's CVTs get- they actually seem to be more fuel efficient and last for a long time (outside of the known CVT issues with the early model cubes, for example). You probably could have gotten 250,000; but I guess we learn from our mistakes. With my current job situation, I also commute like you wife does, I put on about 800 miles/week. It's not ideal, but it's not the end of the world if I do regular maintenance on my vehicle. I've put on around 40,000 since last March, still runs great! Glad your son got the Cube- even though it's not a racecar, it's a very safe vehicle.

2013 Nissan Cube S

**65,500K** miles and counting...

AVS Window Visors
JVC KW-V220BT
Brilliant Silver Interior Trim Appliques
ATI Grill
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra Halogen
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 AM

NYC Taxi drivers and airport limousine drivers I have spoken with have all generally stated that they will get 300,000 miles out of their vehicle before replacing it. At that mileage it still runs fine, but the calculus of replacing parts versus replacing the car bends to the latter. Replacing parts - notably things other than the engine block or transmission.

If you take good care of your car including not ignore little things like the check engine light, that will become bigger issues - you should be just fine. One of the most important and costly items is maintaining the transmission, CVT or other.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page