Car Ramp Recommendation for Oil Change - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

#1 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM
vfc

Car Ramp Recommendation for Oil Change

For those who change the oil & filter themselves; I recommend the Rhino Ramp 12,000. You will need a ramp to get under the car to remove the belly pan. With my other cars, I would drive one wheel up on a curve; can't do that with the cube. I bought the ramp at Advanced Auto for $45. Same price on Amazon.com. They also make an 8000 model for ~ $32, but I liked the wider 12,000 better.

I briefly stopped doing my own oil changes, but after issues with Pep Boys (grease like substance clogging the oil fill opening), and my wife's car getting a dent on the fender during an oil change (ugly experience getting the dealer to fix the dent and how the repaired area is starting to fade/crack), I'm back to doing my own.

Below is a picture that shows there are no clearance issues. There is over an inch of clearance between the ramp and front bumper, so you don't have to worry about damaging your bumper driving up/down the ramp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Re: Car Ramp Recommendation for Oil Change

Thanks, I was thinking of doing my own again too.

1.8 S Super Black
Splash Guards, Logo Mats, 20 LED Light System, Stainless Lit Door Sills, CVT

Added so far : LED Dome, Map, and Cargo Lights, LED Side Turn Signal Bulbs, Sony MP3/WMA CD Stereo, Enkei EDR9 Wheels, Navigon 8100T Navigation.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 PM

Do you trust those plastic ramps?

And I am correct in thinking the Oil filters are most likely the same as the Versa since the two are the same underpinnings?

2009 Cube Krom Super Black
#4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Square1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise

And I am correct in thinking the Oil filters are most likely the same as the Versa since the two are the same underpinnings?

Those plastic ramps are VERY strong, been using them for years.

The oil filter is the same on the Versa. - Dan

2009 Super Black cube "S" 6 speed
1964 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 4 speed
"Any ship can be a minesweeper......Once."
"There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky."
#5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to coolguy

Quote:
we have similar ones (not sure if they're that exact brand, but they look the same), and they're incredibly sturdy. they hold our sti with no problems whatsoever we love our ramps; totally worth the money!
#6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:

Very good question. I have read some reviews that these exact same ramps can be come flying projectiles if used on a smooth surface, I.E. Garage floor.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Square1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_box
Quote:

Very good question. I have read some reviews that these exact same ramps can be come flying projectiles if used on a smooth surface, I.E. Garage floor.

I've been using them for years with no slipping. Mine have rubber pads under them. As soon as a tire starts up onto the ramps it pushes down and the rubber holds them in place from slipping out. - Dan

2009 Super Black cube "S" 6 speed
1964 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 4 speed
"Any ship can be a minesweeper......Once."
"There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky."
#8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 AM

I had issues using them inside the garage where the concrete is much more smooth. I had to put a peice of think plastic under the ramps to keep them from sliding.
Definately recommend them for DIY'er for oil change. You can get them cheap at walmart (my favorite store).

#9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 AM

The problem with ramps becoming projectiles is much reduced with a front wheel drive car. The wheels actually grab the ramp instead of push it or slide.

I actually made my own ramps out of 2X12 by 24 inch long pine and 2 stacked 2X4 all screwed together. My big ol Titan does not even stress these. Cheap too, they were building a new house behind me and were going to burn the waste materials up so I grabbed them, so they were free.

The plastic ramps are good too, but some are too steep and if your ride is lowered like mine the air dam will hit the ramp before the wheel does.

#10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rubik Send a message via Yahoo to Rubik

http://www.phantasmusa.com/ldsramps.html

^ Above link is for Takata ramps for lowered cars. For those of you who don't know Takata, they are one of the best known producers of Racing harnesses in Japan, and subsequently due to the JDM Movement, America. They are expensive, but come in handy for when you can't even get a jack under the car. Sure you can roll it up on a 2x4, but it's not as safe, and not as awesome.

***I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SHOP, AND AM NOT ENDORSING THEM. THEY WERE JUST THE FIRST TO COME UP IN A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR THE RAMPS***

<a href="http://www.beangarage.com">Visit Bean Garage for all of your Cube and sub-compact needs.</a>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page